Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Journal Artical #4: Finding students who learn through media NETS 1 and 4

Bull, G, Alexander, C, & Fester, B. (2009-2010). Finding students who learn through media. Learning and leading with Technology online journal, 37(5),

The artical started off by talking about the importance of using primary sources and creating documentaries in the classroom. It also talked about having students look at online virtual exibits to inhance learning. Based on thier primary sources students created documentaries in the classroom where they edited, revised, and added other media sources. The artical talked about the engagements of student increased in the classroom as well as understanding of the concepts. I also really liked the story board explanintion or experiment where some students did it using media versus those that did not. The results speak for themseleves students really liked and took the time to create a awesome media peice to present. They also got the content of the material compared to those that did not use the media driven projects.

Could I use media projects in Science?
I have always wanted to make video's about science concepts or scientist lives. I always have to look for some on youtube and the weirder they are the better students like them. So how much fun would a group have creating a video editing, adding media and then presenting the video to the class.Can you imagine the documentation and how much a creative side of a student would come out, what a blast they would have creating it as well.

How much time would a teacher need to set up a media project?
I think at first like anything a teacher does it would require parents assistance. But like all projects once you get the projects rolling they become second nature and a common theme for the year. I know if you extend the lesson for a couple days and do not rush and tell the students that this is the first time around usually students are acceptable to knew ideas. I think students would benefit from this experience and would won't more.

No comments:

Post a Comment