Zanetis, J. (2009-2010). The Beginner's guide to interactive virtual field trips. Learning and leading with Technology online journal, 37(6),
Wow, this was an amazing article because currently my school site has been talking about video conferencing. At many private schools there is a restriction on how many field trips students can take and it does hinder how many trips a teacher can make. I also really liked how the article maid it clear about the difference of Asynchronous versus interactive virtual field trips (VFTs).It also gave some really good resources teachers could start out. I currently marked them down on my delicious accounts because I know some day my school site or district can provide this kind of technology for students. I also liked how the article mentions what to look for in the fact that one needs the following h.323 compatible and capable of IP-based connections. I know many students and parents would be all for VFT’s because currently just to schedule a field trip it takes a lot of planning on the teachers part and many parents have to take time for their already busy schedules. Can you imagine the wealth of information during a video conference an expert can give a student on many topics in Science, mathematics, engineering, and historical facts.
Could the district pay at least one video conference per year?
I think if the district allowed one trial run for every teacher they could see the impact of it has on each classroom and it would give the students the opportunity to use the technology. I know in this economy many low social economic districts probably could not afford the technology and probably the teacher would have to for the majority of the conference. Could the sites give grants or specials to these schools on a trail basis. I believe many students would actually like this technology and opt to do it again.
Could teachers use the technology to increase their teaching skills?
I believe video conferencing would be an awesome tool for teachers wanting to increase their teaching skills. We could see how Master teachers teach in the classroom and ask questions about what they are doing after the lesson has been taught. Can you imagine the power of having a first year teacher look at a master teacher that is experienced and recognized as a great teacher. I remember when I went through the credential program having the students critically critic their master teachers.
No comments:
Post a Comment